The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Engine swap (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=318817)

Theodore 23rd April 2022 12:38

Engine swap

This might be a daft question but, with the London Mayor threatening to introduce the Ultra Low Emmision Zone to cover the whole of Greater London, my 1998 V6 will be rendered useless.
I'm already having to think about doing the cambelts but am delaying the decision for obvious reasons but, I then wondered if an entire engine swap could be a viable option or not? And if so, what engine would meet the Euro 6 emissions? Costs etc
Chhers

steve-45 23rd April 2022 13:15

Even if you could do this, you would still have problems getting your vehicles emissions class changed.

I read somewhere that even vehicles that have been modified to fully EV will still be subject to these Ultra Low Emission Zone charges as the taxation and emissions classes cannot be changed from the original manufactures specifications.

SD1too 23rd April 2022 13:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Theodore (Post 2929552)
... with the London Mayor threatening to introduce the Ultra Low Emmision Zone to cover the whole of Greater London, my 1998 V6 will be rendered useless.

I'm in the same position as you are Theo. However, our cars won't be rendered useless, we'll just have to pay more tax when we use them. " Nothing is certain but death and taxes" said Benjamin Franklin as long ago as 1789 and it's still true today!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Theodore (Post 2929552)
... I then wondered if an entire engine swap could be a viable option or not? And if so, what engine would meet the Euro 6 emissions?

It's not the engine that's the problem. Cars with the same engine registered in later years are exempt from the ULEZ charge. It's actually Euro 4 standards which must be met and when our cars were built Euro 3 was current. TfL seems to have reached its decision according to the year of first registration and there's nothing we can do about that.

So our choices are pay the charge or buy something newer. It's all down to the economics of what's involved in that decision and how much we use London public transport.

By the way, your profile says your car is 2002. :confused:

Simon

Theodore 25th April 2022 17:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve-45 (Post 2929560)
Even if you could do this, you would still have problems getting your vehicles emissions class changed.

I read somewhere that even vehicles that have been modified to fully EV will still be subject to these Ultra Low Emission Zone charges as the taxation and emissions classes cannot be changed from the original manufactures specifications.

Really? That's bizarre. You have to notify insurance companies of any modifications: I would say an engine swap would qualify....This sounds like a grey area. I shall write to the DVLA and seek their advice and or clarification.

Theodore 25th April 2022 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD1too (Post 2929561)
I'm in the same position as you are Theo. However, our cars won't be rendered useless, we'll just have to pay more tax when we use them. " Nothing is certain but death and taxes" said Benjamin Franklin as long ago as 1789 and it's still true today!

It's not the engine that's the problem. Cars with the same engine registered in later years are exempt from the ULEZ charge. It's actually Euro 4 standards which must be met and when our cars were built Euro 3 was current. TfL seems to have reached its decision according to the year of first registration and there's nothing we can do about that.

So our choices are pay the charge or buy something newer. It's all down to the economics of what's involved in that decision and how much we use London public transport.

By the way, your profile says your car is 2002. :confused:

Simon

As said, I shall write to the DVLA and see what they say.

As for profile...that was the previous caf...I will change! :}

Jeff Turbo 26th April 2022 14:08

If you buy a 260 you won't have to pay atm for the other zones but in the end only hybrid and leccy vehicles will be exempt imo

macafee2 26th April 2022 23:13

this is so wrong, it should not apply to those living within the zone.
Has there been a challenge in court about applying the charge to those that live in the zone? Bad enough charging those that go into the zone

macafee2

Costa Fortuna 27th April 2022 11:23

Write to the DVLA - and expect a response?

I haven't laughed so much since I saw Billy Connolly at the local Pavilion.

Theodore 28th April 2022 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by macafee2 (Post 2929984)
this is so wrong, it should not apply to those living within the zone.
Has there been a challenge in court about applying the charge to those that live in the zone? Bad enough charging those that go into the zone

macafee2

Not been challenged in a court as yet, as its only a proposal right now. There is mounting opposition but the threat is there.

Theodore 28th April 2022 09:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Costa Fortuna (Post 2930010)
Write to the DVLA - and expect a response?

I haven't laughed so much since I saw Billy Connolly at the local Pavilion.

Don't lose anything by trying. They have responded in the past to other queries, so....