The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Rotten eggs smell when washers used (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=106830)

STUBIE 2nd March 2012 19:39

Rotten eggs smell when washers used

Strong rotten eggs smell when using the windscreen washers on my V6.

I notice I have wires following the water pipes to the outlets on the bonnet which I assume are for heated washers.

Last weekend I emptied the reservoir by continually using the washers and then refilled but still the same. Any ideas or is a bumper of job.

Stubs

FLYER 2nd March 2012 19:45

Bacteria thrives in the washer bottle and i have always found that using winterwash all year round stops it's growth , good idea would be to empty the bottle and fill it up with said stuff , the high alcohol content stops the bacteria growing .

Just my opinion of course .:D

COLVERT 2nd March 2012 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLYER (Post 940512)
Bacteria thrives in the washer bottle and i have always found that using winterwash all year round stops it's growth , good idea would be to empty the bottle and fill it up with said stuff , the high alcohol content stops the bacteria growing .

Just my opinion of course .:D

Perfect opinion. :bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

chrislloydie 2nd March 2012 19:58

Sounds like the reservoir needs cleaning out. Mine used to stink until I cleaned it out with bleach.

bramblp 2nd March 2012 20:02

Stop putting eggs in the bottle

Johnny the Fox 2nd March 2012 20:08

It is whats known as a bio film which is growing in the bottle causing the smell, pop in a couple of Milton tablets and leave for a while, then flush through.

T-Cut 2nd March 2012 21:42

The bugs feed on the detergent in the screenwash. This is basically an anionic sulphate/ether sulphate, so contains sulphur. The bacteria are primarily anaerobic, so in munching away at the detergent, they generate hydrogen sulphide. This dissolves in the water and when you spray it on the screen, it pongs of rotten eggs. Screenwash formulas often contain isopropanol, which acts as a cosolvent and antifreeze. Bugs don't thrive in alcohols, so the winter formulas are usually pong-free.
A couple of days treatment of the tank with a spoonful of Domestos will kill 99.9% of bacteria. Or is it 99.99%?

TC

trimani 2nd March 2012 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 940649)
The bugs feed on the detergent in the screenwash. This is basically an anionic sulphate/ether sulphate, so contains sulphur. The bacteria are primarily anaerobic, so in munching away at the detergent, they generate hydrogen sulphide. This dissolves in the water and when you spray it on the screen, it pongs of rotten eggs. Screenwash formulas often contain isopropanol, which acts as a cosolvent and antifreeze. Bugs don't thrive in alcohols, so the winter formulas are usually pong-free.
A couple of days treatment of the tank with a spoonful of Domestos will kill 99.9% of bacteria. Or is it 99.99%?

TC

99.9999......% Recurring :D

crofts 3rd March 2012 03:52

Pong!

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-Cut (Post 940649)
TC

There you go, just KNEW there would be a scientific explanation by T-Cut.
Not just fantastic mechanical knowledge he's a bleedin chemist as well.
Any knowledge on marriage relationships T-Cut ??!! :bowdown:

T-Cut 3rd March 2012 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by crofts (Post 940795)
Any knowledge on marriage relationships T-Cut ??!!

Send a stamped addressed envelope and twenty quid to . . .

TC