The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Rover 75 battery issue (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=315282)

Pricer 15th September 2021 07:21

Rover 75 battery issue

Hi all,
New here so please take it easy on me.
My grandad has a 55 plate 2.0 diesel 75 auto. It doesn’t get driven much, once every 2 weeks or so. We think something is draining the battery, even when we put a new battery on, when we go to start it a week later, it’s flat so we’ve always disconnected the battery after use which is a pain. Anyway, fast forward a couple of years and we decided To get a new battery and keep in the boot to jump off if needed. Battery light is on permanently even with the new battery installed and the brake lights stay on when everything is turned off and the key out of the ignition. When I turn the ignition on, the brake lights go out.
Any advice?
Thanks in advance

trikey 15th September 2021 07:42

Sounds like you have water ingress somewhere that is upsetting the electrics, does the car have a sunroof or the highline sat nav fitted?

Pricer 15th September 2021 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikey (Post 2899633)
Sounds like you have water ingress somewhere that is upsetting the electrics, does the car have a sunroof or the highline sat nav fitted?

No, neither. Any help is much appreciated

edwardmk 15th September 2021 13:01

If the brake lights stay on with the ignition off, I doubt whether even a brand new fully charged battery would last more than 48 hours. That's a major electrical fault. You need to fault find the brake light circuit. Has anyone worked on the car that might have inadvertently cross connected a lead somewhere?
Are the brake lights permanently on with the ignition off and when was this first noticed? The resting current drain on the car should be in the 30-50 ma range.
Two brake lights would be a drain of roughly 4000 ma. My 2004 Astra G will go over three months without being used and still start. My 2004 ZT V8, after only three weeks, the battery is flat, so I keep it connected to a CTEK MXS 5.0 as advised by others more knowledgeable than myself on this forum. Many modern cars with aftermarket 'goodies' only last two weeks due to the plethora of computers all monitoring all of the systems. There are many good videos on YouTube under 'finding parasitic drain' which will be of enormous help to you. Meanwhile I'd definitely isolate the battery

MissMoppet 15th September 2021 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by edwardmk (Post 2899661)
Meanwhile I'd definitely isolate the battery

I find this much quicker than undoing a bolt.

Roderick 15th September 2021 15:23

Ii can whole heartedly agree Miss Moppet, excellent gadget.

SD1too 15th September 2021 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricer (Post 2899630)
Battery light is on permanently even with the new battery installed and the brake lights stay on when everything is turned off and the key out of the ignition. When I turn the ignition on, the brake lights go out.

Hi Sam,

This is a fault without precedent. I think your best course of action is to see if T4 can give you a clue. There's a club member based in Leamington Spa who might be able to help. He is mobile and his user name is GAVIN (in capitals).

Simon