The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   "Best" way to upgrade 116bhp CDTi (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=32806)

pottermus1753 4th February 2009 20:15

"Best" way to upgrade 116bhp CDTi

Hi

I recently bought a ZT-T which was advertised as 131bhp. On checking the variant details on the V5 it turns out that I have the 116.:mad: I'm planning to ask the vendor to pay for the upgrade.

I've read in the forum about various options. What's the best for my situation? Is the X-Part upgrade the closest equivalent to an "official dealer" upgrade?

Cheers

Greeners 4th February 2009 20:17

Welcome along...
The Xpart way is the offical approved way. All cars were subsequently applied with the codes in the factory......I'm suprised yours escaped.

FROGGY 4th February 2009 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by pottermus1753 (Post 282027)
Hi

I recently bought a ZT-T which was advertised as 131bhp. On checking the variant details on the V5 it turns out that I have the 116.:mad: I'm planning to ask the vendor to pay for the upgrade.

I've read in the forum about various options. What's the best for my situation? Is the X-Part upgrade the closest equivalent to an "official dealer" upgrade?

Cheers

The V5 details are for the car as it left the factory. If it had the 131 upgrade done after by the dealer the V5 does not get changed, but there should be an X-Power sticker on the passenger side door pillar.

HTH

Mick

Tootall 5th February 2009 11:56

You could always go for a 'RoverRon' tuning box more details on his website just click on his banner at the top of page, just keep refreshing the page (F5) until it appears.

HarleymanFXD 5th February 2009 12:03

apart from stickers is there any other way of checking whether there has been an upgrade fitted? I ask because my CDT is a 116 BHP- says so on the door pillar but it feels pretty quick to me, never gets left at the lights and has a powerful surge when pressed. I thought a 2l diesel in a car that size would struggle but far from it.

James.uk 5th February 2009 12:14

Hmmm .. While my car was in the garage having all the work done, it spent time on their rolling road, their computer code reader fingy, and had several road tests. Whilst dicussing the car in general terms the mech said that it was "the fastest 75 we have had in here" and continued to say he was sure the car had been "chipped" at some time.. :shrug:

But how can one tell? When I asked The Co in Derby that do the "home visit" tune-up (at a cost of £300) how I could tell if it had been done, they said I can't?? They also said that if they tested it, they still could not be sure?? So at that point I gave up on the project..

Stickers can be falsified, and they can also be removed, so where do we go from there? :shrug:

Reebmit 5th February 2009 14:00

best way is chat to your local rolling road and see if they will just run it on the rollers quickly and see what it is actually putting out at the wheels, this will give and indication, remember though that the figures you are all talking about is flywheel horsepower. Most rolling roads would only charge a few quid or beer money for this, if not maybe 1/2 labour.
Take the wheel figure and divide by 0.85 for FWD or 0.83 for RWD and that will get you as close to the true engine flywheel bhp as you are ever going to know, its never clear cut as there are many factors to consider but it gives a very close ball park flywheel figure. Another rule of thumb which is quite accurate is to treat the losses as being 10% of the flywheel power plus 10 bhp for FWD and 12% plus 10 bhp for RWD cars, hope this helps

BigRuss 5th February 2009 15:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarleymanFXD (Post 282267)
apart from stickers is there any other way of checking whether there has been an upgrade fitted? I ask because my CDT is a 116 BHP- says so on the door pillar but it feels pretty quick to me, never gets left at the lights and has a powerful surge when pressed. I thought a 2l diesel in a car that size would struggle but far from it.

A session on a T4 should show which engine map the ecu has, as long as it hasn't been remapped by a third party. The different maps (116/131) show different codes when the ecu is interrogated.

Russ

pottermus1753 8th February 2009 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by FROGGY (Post 282083)
The V5 details are for the car as it left the factory. If it had the 131 upgrade done after by the dealer the V5 does not get changed, but there should be an X-Power sticker on the passenger side door pillar.

HTH

Mick

Thanks Mick.

There's no sticker and it just doesn't feel tourqey enough for me to think it's a 131. My last car was a 130bhp A4 estate and it felt much more powerful