The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Social Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   How often do you decorate? (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305989)

macafee2 28th June 2020 17:09

How often do you decorate?

How often do you decorate the same room?
Living in a property you don't always notice it deteriorating and then when you do, there is so much to do as it is not one room that needs doing but a few.

macafee2

RPWC 28th June 2020 17:18

Our house hasn't been decorated for years, I hate it and I'm not that good at it anyway. (No patience).
The Mrs refuses to let me have friends round as the place is so bad, but I refuse to decorate when the place meeds(bottoming) by a professional decorator and starting from scratch, then we can keep on top of it ourselves.

stocktake 28th June 2020 18:09

Whenever the wife tells me I have to :( :getmecoat:

OK, in reality, when I get sick to death of her nagging me to do it...

And the truth:
Living room, dining room, hall 5yr ish.........

Bedrooms: second line of this post
Hate it.

Ian G 28th June 2020 18:32

Been in our present home for 4 years and the lounge has already had a freshen up and bedroom will probably be done before too long..
I quite enjoy decorating especially hanging wall paper..

coolguy 28th June 2020 18:45

I have a notice in my hall which states:-

"Excuse the mess, we're busy having a life"

skellum 28th June 2020 19:47

God.
I've been 'decorating' for about the last 7 years. Decorated our flat from end-to-end (including the stairway and shared hallway) and no sooner finished that we moved. New house has been getting blitzed top to bottom. Just finished the kitchen/ dining room, a back to the bare block-work project.
Next step to knock out the sitting room. Once I do that I can build my garage!
We tend to have a lot of white on our walls. Seem to get about 2-3 years before things get a bit scruffy and need refreshed.

marinabrian 28th June 2020 20:13

I decorated the hallway in 1996, the kitchen in 1999 and the porch in 2002.

The lounge has been done four times, so every six years

The bedrooms have been done three times in 24 years and I'm currently doing the small room.

The bathroom has been replaced twice.

I was going to redo the kitchen this year, but for obvious reasons haven't.

To be fair, I don't hate decorating, however I have so many other things I'd rather be doing :drool4:

SCP440 28th June 2020 20:50

I moved into my present house 20 years ago after a divorce and I needed to do every room. The house was in a poor state but at least I was in. It took me about 8 months of evenings and weekends to get it nice including fitting a kitchen.

Since then I find I need to freshen up the most used rooms every 5 to 7 years, the spare bedroom that gets used rarely has only been done once.

My biggest mistake was getting some one in to do the living room one year before Christmas as I didn't have time and I thought it would be nice to get it done as we had guests. The chap who came highly recommended spent 2 days walking around with filler and decorators caulk before he painted. He painted the walls and did the glossing in a day and within a few weeks I was finding places he had missed. I ended up doing it again myself less than 6 months later to my standard.

My advice is never buy cheap paint or paint on special offer in the DIY shops, if its half price you seem to need twice as much. The best paint is always purchased from builders merchants. Also if you don't use it all store the tin upside down, you then don't get a skin when you open it.

macafee2 28th June 2020 21:14

Time seems to go so quickly, 5-7 years will seem like 2 to me.
2 rooms a year, mods please delete that post in case my wife sees it :)

macafee2

Teflon 28th June 2020 21:20

Once every 10 - 15 yrs, whether it needs it or not! :D

Still haven't got around to doing the downstairs toilet after 23 yrs. It's on my list though, so that's OK :}.

Cliff