The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   CDT 2002 turning wont start (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=305990)

stuart5748 28th June 2020 17:13

CDT 2002 turning wont start

When servicing my 2002 CDT one of the glow plugs broke and pieces went in the cylinder. Ive had to remove the head, clear it all and rebuild, new gasket other seals etc. The car is now turning but wont fire up. Ive done some basic checks, readings are all good . The car was running fine before anyway. Just to clear something first, when setting the camshafts, could it be that the left one, the exhaust cam is 180 out?, i know i set the right one correct with lobes up but when setting the left one with the vacuum pump i laid it down and just then set it at that..... anyhow if its not that im stumped. could it be the ECU is not allowing the injectors to fire. i would appreciate help as im beginning to clutch at straws and before i take it apart again maybe someone can help.
many thanks

Phil-T4 28th June 2020 17:51

Did you use one of these to set the camshaft timing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/S-X4757-B...UAAOSwqOdd5VFp

stuart5748 28th June 2020 18:13

yes i did, can the cams be 180 and still fit?

Phil-T4 28th June 2020 18:33

Now your asking, its been a long time since i have seen the cams of an M47!

If the keyway slots for the vacuum pump drive are identical then yes it can be installed 180 out, from (a rather poor) memory, the first lobes on the cams (chain end) tend to be at 1 & 11 o/clock when #1 is at TDC

stuart5748 28th June 2020 18:39

ok , i think i will have to pull off the camshaft head etc and check, no point in continuing unless i can be 100%. i know the righthand cam is correct but i have a feeling about the left one. If it is incorrect i would imagine its effecting the compression and firing etc.
i will do it tomorrow afternoon and report back . thanks for the response

cb750chris 28th June 2020 22:17

If after checking the camshafts you still have problems, give me a shout and I may be able to pop over and have a look with you.
Regards
Chris

stuart5748 28th June 2020 23:06

thanks Chris, i was going to contact you, lots been going on and then this happened to the car. If no joy i shall let you know. I have lost your contact number so you will have to text me. kind regards. see how i get on tomorrow !

Mike Noc 28th June 2020 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by stuart5748 (Post 2821689)
yes i did, can the cams be 180 and still fit?

Yes, looking at the flats either side of the camshafts where tool 12-173 locates they can - the camsensor senses the inlet camshaft, so if both cams were 180 out the engine would run fine, but it could be that you have the exhaust cam 180 degrees out in relation to the inlet cam, and getting the exhaust stroke where the compression stroke should be.

As Phil says, when set correctly the exhaust cam lobe on number 1 cylinder is at 1 o'clock and the inlet cam lobe is at 11 o'clock looking from the timing chain end.

I'm not that far away, in Bordon, if you need a hand.

stuart5748 29th June 2020 18:58

ok at last the car is back together and its running!!! weeks of hassle for a broken glow plug. My thoughts and suspicions were found to be correct , the exhaust cam was 180 out. In a way i was glad that it was the reason. when i put it back together the first turn it just clicked but i thought my battery was low so a jump from my van and it started straight away. Its smoking a little but i think im right to say i have filled the exhaust full of diesel?? cranking it so many times. I take it has a Cat, could this damage it? or will it clear?
tomorrow i will take it for a longer drive to clear everything.
then i can resume the service i was doing about a month ago.
i will probably get it T4'd to check things out.
any comments on exhaust smoke, CAT, smoke not always there, but has to be the cranking??

Mike Noc 29th June 2020 21:16

Sounds about right unburnt diesel in the exhaust so a run out should clear the smoke. Always good to get a result. :}