The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Problems in France (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=320561)

spirit6060 16th August 2022 08:34

Problems in France

Urgent help needed please.
I have a face-lift MG estate, 2 litre diesel. Yesterday, left Paris, and about an hour from our destination of Morzine, the engine started to make a noise. It's sort of thud thud noise and is speed related. At rest, the engine sounds fine, but as the car gains speed, the noise increases. There's no loss of power, there's no smoke from the exhaust. There's no noise from the brakes. We carried on with the noise, which didn't get worse or affect performance and arrived at our destination. I know of a former MG/Rover dealership in Vougy and will take the car there.
Do you have any ideas what the problem is before I go to the garage?
Many thanks.

Ducati750cc 16th August 2022 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit6060 (Post 2942783)
I have a face-lift MG estate, 2 litre diesel. Yesterday, left Paris, and about an hour from our destination of Morzine, the engine started to make a noise. It's sort of thud thud noise and is speed related. At rest, the engine sounds fine, but as the car gains speed, the noise increases. There's no loss of power, there's no smoke from the exhaust. There's no noise from the brakes. We carried on with the noise, which didn't get worse or affect performance and arrived at our destination. I know of a former MG/Rover dealership in Vougy and will take the car there.
Many thanks.

So the noise increases in frequency dependent only on road speed but not engine speed or which gear you are in ?

If so I doubt it can be an engine noise !

Can anything be felt through the car as you hear the noise ?

Does it come from any particular side, presuming it's coming from the front ?

Did it come on gradually or all of a sudden ?

It sounds like the noise could be tyre/wheel/transmission based rather than engine.

Jack up each front wheel, spin them looking for tyre distortion, wheel problems any signs of a rotating item, drive shafts etc making contact with anything, anything wrapped round them for example.

Does it start immediately you start to move and does it do it in reverse ?

spirit6060 16th August 2022 10:03

Thanks for your response.
There's no noise when in neutral. I've revved the engine to 3000 revs and all ok. Noise starts at about 10mph. Appears to come from osf. I looked, as far as poss under the car but cant see anything amiss.
Radiator header tank was low which is unusual even in hot weather. Excuse me if this sounds stupid but is it the water pump, although temp gauge was normal?

Number 6 16th August 2022 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit6060 (Post 2942799)
Thanks for your response.
There's no noise when in neutral. I've revved the engine to 3000 revs and all ok. Noise starts at about 10mph. Appears to come from osf. I looked, as far as poss under the car but cant see anything amiss.
Radiator header tank was low which is unusual even in hot weather. Excuse me if this sounds stupid but is it the water pump, although temp gauge was normal?

As suggested by Ducati, if you think it is coming from the front O/S Jack it up and rotate the wheel looking for any deformation on the tread and/or side walls. If it increases with road speed try getting up to speed and put it into neutral and let it coast to see if the noise/thump is there. if it is then it stands a good chance of it being wheel/tyre related..

Mike Noc 16th August 2022 12:56

Whilst you have it jacked up check for play in the driveshaft support bearing, that the housing bolts haven't loosened, and that it doesn't feel rough when you turn the wheel.

COLVERT 16th August 2022 18:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit6060 (Post 2942783)
Many thanks.

When you get a solution to your problem don't forget to let us know in case it happens to another forum member.

Arctic 16th August 2022 20:48

Maybe low wishbone bush failed, letting the arm move once in motion, speed related noise when going over different road terrain, as above get it jacked up or onto some ramps and take visual look, could also be drop link.

Andy_with_a_screwdriver 17th August 2022 13:45

Last speed related thud thud noise I had was a puncture.

Bit of trim come loose, perhaps flapping around?

Something rubbing on a wheel?

Number 6 22nd August 2022 07:43

Has there been a conclusion to this dilemma ??

Ducati750cc 22nd August 2022 09:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number 6 (Post 2943433)
Has there been a conclusion to this dilemma ??

I was thinking the same myself.;)