The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Cam belt kits (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=211437)

Rev Jules 19th March 2015 09:51

Cam belt kits

A bit miffed, I though there was three belts to a cam belt kit two for the cams and one auxiliary belt. And yet I have just looked on the bay a kit with only one belt by a company called Gates????

Julien

chipsceola 19th March 2015 10:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by julienhoulton (Post 1952080)

A bit miffed, I though there was three belts to a cam belt kit two for the cams and one auxiliary belt. And yet I have just looked on the bay a kit with only one belt by a company called Gates????

Julien

Try Matt at DMGRS forum trader, am sure he offers cambelt kits with options of bits you want as shown here

Dorset Bob 19th March 2015 10:09

If it helps, the Gates info, with part nos. is here :}

Rev Jules 19th March 2015 10:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by chipsceola (Post 1952091)
Try Matt at DMGRS forum trader, am sure he offers cambelt kits with options of bits you want as shown here

Cheers, already have got it all in hand, just curious, but even DRMGS shows three belts,

Julien

Stag>75 19th March 2015 10:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by julienhoulton (Post 1952080)

Julien

Have a search on this and you will find many posts. You can buy kits from many places but I have not seen a kit that has all the parts.

For a KV6 you need:

. One front/primary belt
. 2 rear/secondary belts
. 1 Tensioner pulley
. 1 Idler Pulley
. Sprocket bolts - either 6 or 2 depending on the way you do it/tools you use
. Camshaft caps (Or seals - depending on the outcome you want) - you need these if you use the proper tools
. Water pump - This is recommended as it's the same effort to do it all again if it fails in the future
. Drive belt - Type depends on whether you have air conditioning
. Maybe the drive belt pulleys if they are making noise. I suggest you check before disassembly if there is noise coming from them
. 6 seals - ( 3 of one type and 3 of the other) that connect the black upper inlet manifold to metal inlet manifolds
. Thermostat housing (Optional) - Lot of the dismantling is the same to do this so if it's time to do it then do it. If you do this job then unless you use the keyhole process you need to change the inlet manifold gaskets and also if you disturb the fuel rail O rings then you may need new ones
. If the camshaft cover pin holes are blocked then now is the time to clean them (Have a search). You need the camshaft cover black gaskets if you do this.

Can't think of anything else but others may.

edit: If the spark plugs are due for a change then a very good time to replace the rear ones.

DMGRS 19th March 2015 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by julienhoulton (Post 1952104)
Cheers, already have got it all in hand, just curious, but even DRMGS shows three belts,

Julien

Three belts are needed, as mentioned. Also, it's recommended that the tensioners and idler are changed - I don't sell the belts without them, as I've seen too many failures where the idler or tensioner has let go. :)

Our KV6 Kits are here, from £119.99 - KV6 Cambelt Kit

Rev Jules 19th March 2015 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMGRS (Post 1952280)
Three belts are needed, as mentioned. Also, it's recommended that the tensioners and idler are changed - I don't sell the belts without them, as I've seen too many failures where the idler or tensioner has let go. :)

Our KV6 Kits are here, from £119.99 - KV6 Cambelt Kit

Okay!,

While someone was in there doing it what else would you suggest doing just to make sure it didn't have to be stripped down again??

Many Thanks.

Julien

SD1too 19th March 2015 14:58

Post no. 5 Julien?

Simon

StephenEssex 19th March 2015 15:06

I have been gaining some quotes for my belts, more or less £500 for the belts/tensioner/waterpump etc.. Plus an extra £70 for the Thermostat housing, if it needs doing.

I have a bill from about 2010 for a Thermostat assembly, would this be it? If so its unlikely to need doing again when I have the belts done?

SD1too 19th March 2015 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenEssex (Post 1952350)
I have a bill from about 2010 for a Thermostat assembly, would this be it?

Yes, and if it isn't leaking you're doing better than I am! Leave well alone Stephen.

Simon