The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   I.C.E. Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Redundant/Reusable wires - Ex highline fitted facelift (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=306810)

Maxfly 30th July 2020 15:43

Redundant/Reusable wires - Ex highline fitted facelift

If the rain stops I’m hoping to get out and fit the new xtrons stereo I have.
Happy with what I have to do but wanting a bit of advice on the old cabling still in situ from when the Highline stereo was in place, it was removed and a single din Kenwood unit put in its place. Most I will ignore as redundant but there is an antenna at the top of the windscreen, would this be gps? Also I found a orange coloured wire with a bullet connector that is disconnected, in the area of the fusebox, is this the oTher end of that antenna or something totally different, it’s a slightly thicker wire than the others.
Thanks
Gary

Rogue 30th July 2020 16:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfly (Post 2828040)
Happy with what I have to do but wanting a bit of advice on the old cabling still in situ from when the Highline stereo was in place, it was removed and a single din Kenwood unit put in its place. Most I will ignore as redundant but there is an antenna at the top of the windscreen, would this be gps? Also I found a orange coloured wire with a bullet connector that is disconnected, in the area of the fusebox, is this the oTher end of that antenna or something totally different, it’s a slightly thicker wire than the others.
Thanks
Gary

I have a sneaking suspicion that the orange wire may be the towing supply.

Maxfly 30th July 2020 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue (Post 2828046)
I have a sneaking suspicion that the orange wire may be the towing supply.

I think you are spot on, quick google on tow at brought up this thread

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...d.php?t=138555

Looks like the same cable other than mine is missing the black plastic connector surround. I shall leave that be then :D

Rogue 30th July 2020 16:47

As its a live supply i would suggest some sort of insulation at the termination then. Only reason i had an idea was that i used this supply to operate the electric seats with a relay controlling it to ignition live only.

Maxfly 30th July 2020 17:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogue (Post 2828058)
As its a live supply i would suggest some sort of insulation at the termination then. Only reason i had an idea was that i used this supply to operate the electric seats with a relay controlling it to ignition live only.

Yes, that’s definitely going to be happening. Thanks for the Help:cool:

raykay 30th July 2020 18:56

Removal of the plastic connector cover was one of the 'Project Drive' deletions. The other end of the Orange/Slate cable will be disconnected, underneath the engine compartment fuse panel.

Maxfly 30th July 2020 21:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by raykay (Post 2828080)
Removal of the plastic connector cover was one of the 'Project Drive' deletions. The other end of the Orange/Slate cable will be disconnected, underneath the engine compartment fuse panel.

Excellent, thanks! Desperate times called for ever more desperate measure eh

HarryM1BYT 31st July 2020 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfly (Post 2828040)
Thanks
Gary

The Highline GPS antenna was installed in the rear parcel shelf, so what your windscreen antenna is, is anyone's guess. Maybe DAB antenna?

Orange wire behind glovebox is a towing supply, it usually terminates under the engine fuse panel, but left unconnected at both ends. Last week I gave that cable an additional purpose to towing - a low resistance path to keep the battery charged, via an additional lighter plug.

Maxfly 31st July 2020 10:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT (Post 2828160)
The Highline GPS antenna was installed in the rear parcel shelf, so what your windscreen antenna is, is anyone's guess. Maybe DAB antenna?

Orange wire behind glovebox is a towing supply, it usually terminates under the engine fuse panel, but left unconnected at both ends. Last week I gave that cable an additional purpose to towing - a low resistance path to keep the battery charged, via an additional lighter plug.

Not sure what that antenna is for then, it’s the thin rectangular shaped type and is only just visible at top of windscreen. Might have to trace that one and see what connector is on the end. I don’t believe the car has had DAB previously as it was the highline system then this kenwood unit I have just removed, which I’m pretty isn’t DAB capable.

Good idea on that reuse of the towing supply wire:cool:

HarryM1BYT 31st July 2020 13:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxfly (Post 2828207)
Not sure what that antenna is for then, it’s the thin rectangular shaped type and is only just visible at top of windscreen. Might have to trace that one and see what connector is on the end. I don’t believe the car has had DAB previously as it was the highline system then this kenwood unit I have just removed, which I’m pretty isn’t DAB capable.

Good idea on that reuse of the towing supply wire:cool:

A DAB adaptor might have been fitted at some point, or it could be for a mobile phone.