The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   Technical Help Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Brakes snatch at low speed - Diesel 75 Tourer (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=320647)

JMW 22nd August 2022 12:23

Brakes snatch at low speed - Diesel 75 Tourer

Hi,

Any advice welcome.

I have noticed that the front brakes seem to snatch a little when breaking at low speed, seem fine at high speed and passed the MOT a few months ago. Hard to describe but almost seems like the brakes are uneven and sudden? Only noticeable a very low speed and can be felt as a slight jolt through the steering wheel where it turns slightly.

I’ve checked the callipers are tight.

Regards

Jon

ryszard 22nd August 2022 12:59

Hi,once when checking everything pre MOT found the front brake pads had come away from the metal holders.I only found out as was about to change the pads,when I took them out they just separated.Must have been a cheap copy as the other side was the same.Might be worth a check.Regards Ryszard.

Ducati750cc 22nd August 2022 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMW (Post 2943469)
Hi,

Any advice welcome.

I have noticed that the front brakes seem to snatch a little when breaking at low speed, seem fine at high speed and passed the MOT a few months ago. Hard to describe but almost seems like the brakes are uneven and sudden? Only noticeable a very low speed and can be felt as a slight jolt through the steering wheel where it turns slightly.

I’ve checked the callipers are tight.

Regards

Jon

Possible sticking caliper pistons, or sliders, or rare, air in one side

It sounds like under low speed low pedal pressure, that one side is ' lazy ' resulting in one wheel on one side braking slightly before the other resulting in the steering being pulled to one side.

With increased pedal pressure at higher speeds it's not as noticeable.

daveo138 22nd August 2022 17:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ducati750cc (Post 2943483)
Possible sticking caliper pistons, or sliders, or rare, air in one side

It sounds like under low speed low pedal pressure, that one side is ' lazy ' resulting in one wheel on one side braking slightly before the other resulting in the steering being pulled to one side.

With increased pedal pressure at higher speeds it's not as noticeable.

It could also be a flexi-hose collapsing.

It might be worth jacking the front end up, spinning the wheels (by hand) and braking gently to see if both sides react the same. Also, pressing hard on the pedal and checking to see if either side is dragging when you release.

DMGRS 24th August 2022 17:53

I had similar on my ZS180 - it was a combination of a sticky caliper (rust on the piston) and some very seized sliders.
Cleaned the whole lot up as I needed the car back on the road quickly, and it was perfect after.