The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums

The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   !!!!!!! Bad fuel (diesel) (https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=88184)

markw22 8th July 2011 22:45

!!!!!!! Bad fuel (diesel)

Just been out with my friend in his mams 75 cdti and filled it withe diesel at the swallwel jet garage £45 worth started the car pulled forward and then the car had a spluter so me first instinct was he had put petrol in so he nocked the car off and when and check with the desk clark and he had filled up with diesel so he started the car the as he did the engine reved araticaly to the point the rev counter was in the red. i no that diesels only rev like that when there is water in the fuel. so nocked the car off straight away and called the aa. aa turned up and checked the fuel throw the lines and found it is full of water bad thing is the engine now has a very loud nocking nosie aa said it could be a failed in jector or a bent valve with the amount of water entering the cylinder and hydrolicing. AA have reported water in the fuel take to be the fuel stations proplem so waiting for fuel station to test the tankes

navrac 8th July 2011 22:49

Running a petrol station is a bit like running a pub - you have to look after the tanks/pipes.

Good luck with getting the petrol station to accept liability- they rarely do.

Poppy 8th July 2011 22:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by markw22 (Post 759129)
Just been out with my friend in his mams 75 cdti and filled it withe diesel at the swallwel jet garage £45 worth started the car pulled forward and then the car had a spluter so me first instinct was he had put petrol in so he nocked the car off and when and check with the desk clark and he had filled up with diesel so he started the car the as he did the engine reved araticaly to the point the rev counter was in the red. i no that diesels only rev like that when there is water in the fuel. so nocked the car off straight away and called the aa. aa turned up and checked the fuel throw the lines and found it is full of water bad thing is the engine now has a very loud nocking nosie aa said it could be a failed in jector or a bent valve with the amount of water entering the cylinder and hydrolicing. AA have reported water in the fuel take to be the fuel stations proplem so waiting for fuel station to test the tankes

eek. My dad once filled up a van at a local garage with "diesel"... Only got about 50yrds before it cut out...... What he had put in in actual fact was pure water.... Something to do with they were cleaning out the tanks....:shrug::shrug:

markw22 8th July 2011 23:05

some bad news the engine has died aa have just pulled diesel the the injectors anf fiered the engine engine ran for about 5 sec reved right passed the red in the counter realy loud banging and then 1 big band and a load of blue smoke out the back and from the engine bay. fitter box is full of oil there is no oil in the sump and the engine dosnt even turn over now

Poppy 8th July 2011 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by markw22 (Post 759148)
some bad news the engine has died aa have just pulled diesel the the injectors anf fiered the engine engine ran for about 5 sec reved right passed the red in the counter realy loud banging and then 1 big band and a load of blue smoke out the back and from the engine bay. fitter box is full of oil there is no oil in the sump and the engine dosnt even turn over now

Errrrrr, I presume that you have been back to the garage.? You should have gone back immediately and asked hem for a tester from the diesel pump that was used....:shrug:

markw22 8th July 2011 23:14

yes we have there not pumping diesel any more till there fuel tanks are tested the car didnt even get out the exit of the fuel station and died there to

Poppy 8th July 2011 23:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by markw22 (Post 759154)
yes we have there not pumping diesel any more till there fuel tanks are tested the car didnt even get out the exit of the fuel station and died there to

Hiya. Okay, right.... Did you get some sort sig to acknowledge that there was indeed a problem with the pump? Or indeed speak to the manager? Only thinking of protecting your interests here you understand... ;):D

James.uk 9th July 2011 00:14

Assuming a % of water content was in the mix it still should not have done much damage? Any water injected would have been turned to steam on combustion and ejected out of the exhaust ports, I can't see enough water staying in to cause hydraulic lockup?

The engine would only run if a high % of fuel was getting through.. :shrug:

Too high a water content and the engine would just stop? :o :shrug: :o
Innit??

Jake 9th July 2011 08:42

If it's used all it's oil then it sounds like it has ran wild which diesels can do.

craig8661 9th July 2011 10:14

sounds to me not like a fuel problem as if there was water going in before it would hit them revs would destry the piston rings.

to me it sounds like when it was restarted for some unbe known reason it has pushed the oil up throu the breather and then ran on its own oil until the engine ither reved itself to death or ran out of oil causing major internal damige