View Single Post
Old 16th July 2012, 00:17   #61
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default sealing the scuttle panel clips

At last we have had a couple of days with the sun out for more tha a couple of hours, yesterday i decide i would make sure the car was not leaking in from the windscreen scuttle around its clips so i took it off and sealed round each one with some 151 gutter sealant i also ran it anlong the ower part of the windscreen.
To remove the scuttle panel from the front windscreen first you need to remover the window wipers two nuts 15mm, then grip tight a wiggle and a shake and they are off.
Window wipers removed and one scuttle clip Fig 1

Next prise up each scuttle clip with a tool simular to this or use a thin bladed screw driver keep your spare thumb or finger over the clip so it does not fly of into the air never to be found or stick some masking tape over the edge of the clip. Fig 2-3

Next remove the rubber seal along the scuttle Fig 4
The next step is to remove the scrivets each
side after removing the upper scuttle trays these just screw out Fig 5

You are now ready to remove the scuttle panel first feed it up and out from the passnger side no need to be a bull in a china shop take it easy just a little bending and its free that end. Fig 6

Now do the same the drivers side this time pay attention to lifting the scuttle panle free and over the window wiper bolt again take care. Fig 7

Once this as been acchived the panel is free to remove and be put safe Fig 8-9

With the scuttle panel removed we can see the white plastic retaining grommets which the scuttle panel clips fit into to hold the panel in situ, note the perished gaskets under them very suspect in my opinion so all the more reason to seal them with the 151 sealant. Fig 10-12

Note how dirty it is under the scuttle panel and holds water

Also take note of the gasket under the white recess holder for the scuttle clips, close up you can see they are deterioration.

I am now going to seal around the white retaining grommets and inside them, when i replace the scuttle panel and its clips it will seal around that area and seal the clip in place as i hope i do not need to remove it again if so it will just be that little bit harder no great shakes.Fig 13

Seal round each and every one i also sealed along the lower part of the windscreen to make sure Fig 14-15

With the scuttle panel now back in place i put a little more in the crevis of the scuttle clip so it just seeps out to be wiped off clean, this should now be sealed this may not need doing but i think i am being cautious just incase as i have had a member tell me they have a wet carpet but do not have a sunroof.Fig 16
Another note is the front window screen scuttle rubber that sits up against the screen and scuttle panel this shrinks at either end, you can geta spare one from a scrap yard & cut a section out add that into the original one and the ends will then fit tight up to the wing panels.

With this done my next step is to refit the carpet now its dry and the interior seats etc this i will do tomorrow 15th July 2012 Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "

Last edited by Arctic; 14th February 2019 at 10:25.. Reason: Photo editing
Arctic is online now   Reply With Quote