View Single Post
Old 4th December 2007, 16:47   #37
ColinW
Regular poster

R 75 Club CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigruss42 View Post
I suggest you re-read Rincewinds post in particular the paragraph just before the second set of figures. I think you'll find that it says: "Then for OBD purposes, we have to fail the system or by-pass it to see if the system falls within the OBD limit requirements in this instance, it's fully OPEN like a by-pass system would be." ?????

By fitting a bypass it completely closes off the pipe from the exhaust by blanking it off preventing the induction of exhaust gases into the manifold.

Russ
Russ,
I have re-read this several times, and I cannot come to any other conclusion. Perhaps the author could clarify it, but I read it as having to bypass the system, not in a mechanical sense, but that the control to the EGR is disabled, such that no exhaust gasses are introduced in the cylinder. In other words, without having to remove the EGR completely, it simulates the bypass much as removing the vacuum from the M47R's EGR, which is what many protaganists advocated before the introduction of the by-pass tube.

I have to assume that the second set of results, is trying to demonstrate the effects of no EGR, which will show up on the OBD. If not, why then the does he quote the figures.

If you still don't believe that, lets ask the man himself.

Colin
ColinW is offline   Reply With Quote