View Single Post
Old 31st May 2013, 06:14   #9
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Hi All,

The Ebay cylinder head arrived yesterday. I had some time to do some inspection on it last night. Head height was measured to 118,5mm and I guess it has been skimmed twice in its lifetime. The marks in the seal surface show that the latest elastomer gasket was fitted to the head. No severe indentation from the fire rings was found, but porosity seen in the fire ring area. The oil in the cylinder head was pretty dirty to.
The plan is to strip the cylinder head down, lap in the valves, have the fire ring area peened down to compress any porosity below the surface in the fire ring area (http://wiki.seloc.org/a/Cylinder_Head_Fire_Ring_Peening ) and have the head skimmed. I guess the head height will be approx. 118,2-118,3mm after this operation which is 0,5mm below the manufacturers re-face limit. A 0,5mm stainless head saver shim will be added to the seal surface with Stag wellseal at assembly. This saver shim will give the cylinder head an overall head height off 118,7-118,8mm which is within the specifications. It will also seal of surface porosity if present. The Saver shim will spread out the point load from the fire rings over a larger area on the cylinder head surface and prevent fire ring indentation if the cylinder head material for some reason is partly annealed. The latest Payen elastomer gasket will be used.
Updates to come J
Here are some pictures:

Last edited by beinet1; 16th January 2018 at 18:55..
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote