Old 21st August 2013, 03:40   #23
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Mans 190 View Post
Lost lots of water when the car over heated
Undoubtedly it did.

But let me tell you what has happened, as a distinct possibility.

You have most likely?? not checked your water as often as I always tell you all to do, have you? (which is, by the way daily, or at least weekly)
Your car has developed a leak, somewhere. Most likely the water pump, or perhaps the two pipes in front of the radiator, or maybe even the inlet manifold gaskets. (For it does not look to me this has come out at the thermostat). You have been driving around with close to half the water missing, most likely for weeks! and then it overheated and lost even more.

You can 90% dismiss this theory by stating that you DID check the water, just before you used the car, but I think chances are you haven't done that for a while.

So the car is most likely fine, still, apart from a slow leak, that you now have to go and search for.!

This is the reason why checking of water is first on the list for any driver of these cars. They are fine until they aren't. And it goes from fine to not, in a bat of an eye. Because the underlying cause goes unnoticed for a while owing to no physical checks.

The temperature gauge is useless, get used to it.!

At the moment, you most likely also have trapped air in the system (vapour lock/air lock) and you will have to top up a number of times to get rid of that. Or go and find a post of Simon

The problem though is going to persist, as even this new coolant, most likely, will also be lost.

Check you water pump! might well be the problem, leaking.

And to Chrissy. Even without the bolt in there, there is not much evidence of serious water loss from this thermostat, at least I can't see it, so I have to go by that. If there is no evidence, there (often-not always!) is most likely no crime.!
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote