View Single Post
Old 15th September 2013, 22:51   #294
Trevor1975
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon cdt club SE 1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
Maybe it never really got warmed up before? I doubt a failing stat will make any sort of recovery, but circumstances maybe suggest it did.

TC
I wasn't sure TBH, but I have been watching it on journeys to work for the last few months, approx. 10 miles, in warm weather. temperature was rising to 74 ish after 3 or 4 miles then hovering there.

each month it has gone up a couple of degrees. It goes up to 80-82 now and never drops below this whilst the engine is running.

(note - I did get it up to 96 degrees the other day in some traffic on a hot day, then I left it idling for 10 minutes charging a friends dead battery from my jump leads. The fan cut in and brought it down to 91 degrees. As soon as I was out on the open road it went back to a steady 82 degrees.)

The thermostat has definitely improved with a change in use... maybe not a full recovery but it has changed its opening point by around 6-8 degrees.

I have only owned the car since may so the weather has not been a significant factor, it has always been warm...

We shall see what happens in winter. I can always get an inline thermostat or fix my FBH if it doesn't heat up nicely....

** EDIT ** driving to work this morning - no motorway for a change, the car didn't warm up as quickly taking 6 miles / 20 minutes to reach and maintain around 78 degrees. Put my toe down to pull off from traffic lights to 50 mph and it quickly rose to 81, then fell back to 78 within a less than a minute... so it is only a few degrees warmer than when I got it. (was 74 now 78)

Stuff it - I'm going to get an in line 'stat and get it to sit at 90 degrees when funds allow it!

Last edited by Trevor1975; 16th September 2013 at 11:40..
Trevor1975 is offline   Reply With Quote