View Single Post
Old 16th December 2006, 15:41   #6
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Default Do It Before It's Too Late

Just fitted the Synergy today, and have yet to try out to it's full potential on ice free roads, so I was feeling rather proud of my achievments today so this inspired me to check out the plenum. My plenum was cleaned out last year, and I thought no real need to do the job, however reading this thread got me to decide to check the plenum chamber out. I stuck masking tape over the top of the plastic clips, and pulled on the plastic cover, success! no flying clips, cover ready to remove. Unfortunately as I was twisting the cover out from under the bonnet, one of the ends of the cover broke. May be related to the low temperature we have today as for most of the day it has been reading -2degC in the shade.

To my horror I found water in the bottom of the chamber, along with a wet pollen filter. No leaves, just a gunge stuck in bottom of the rubber drain tube, cleared it now, but I must get into the habit of checking it more often. All back together again with a superglued end to the cover, I'll have to get a new cover ordered next week.

A work collegue with a ZT who I have been badgering on numerous occasions to get his plenum chamber done for months now, has never got around to it yet, so I must ensure that he gets my news, so that he can get cracking and get it done ASAP.

Thinking about the design of the Rubber funnel in the plenum, the debris has only one place to go, and it will eventually clog up in time. I would have thought that by placing a 4" long 3/8" - 1/2" tube through the hole in the rubber funnel and having the top of the hose stick up slightly higher 1" than the face of the rubber funnel may help stop the hole blocking up similar to the suction line in the bottom of a tank.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote