View Single Post
Old 27th February 2014, 07:21   #37
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
I am guessing a little HDR was used, either in camera or edited after? HDR is one of those Marmite type of things. I am not a fan, HOWEVER, IF if was used here I love it. I love how the subtle use of it. IF it wasnt used, then WOW!

I agree about your comment about critique, Alan, art (I believe photography is an art form) is subjective, but people can learn and develop their skills from critique. My comments above about the possible use of HDR if not used, would show the pitfall of critique and be insulting to your ability. Please dont be offended if I am wrong, I am happy to be corrected, and learn from my critique too.
Kind words, thankyou.
I hate the term HDR as I think it is no longer a tool for the purpose of its name, and I suspect a lot of people don't even understand what it really means.
I think it's just something people do without understanding light, and it is just simply overcooked with feeble software and tweaked far too much. I also think people do set out to "take some HDR images" rather than setting out to just make a good image so the compositional skills are out the window. I blame students

So yeah, the above two images are 3 multiple exposures of -1, 0 and +1 EV. When i've shot in this Cathedral before I had my Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 but i've now got the 10-22mm, and I was handheld so I decided to to just capture what detail I could as the harsh contrast between internal lighting, sunlight through the windows and dark areas of the building would need bringing out.

A trained eye would have maybe noticed the murky greyness of the hymn book pages and the tones of the organ pipes and the wood in the second pic?
The subject matter has to lend itself to any kind of tonemapping and I think old buildings do. I like to try and get the best composition and build on that to get what I want. My trusty EOS 3 can shoot upto 9 exposures on one frame while not advancing the film....so recording higher dynamic range has been done for years, I just feel it's a little bit trigger happy and used without thinking. Or people think.. "oh that image is rubbish...i'll HDR it"

Dyou know what I mean?
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote