View Single Post
Old 11th April 2014, 01:18   #27
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Thermostat Replaced (key Hole) V6 190

On the 13th March I discovered I had a leak from the thermostat on my MG ZT 190 I noticed this as the coolant in the header tank was low, so I checked in the V of the engine and sure enough I could see the red coolant not much but enough to have to remove and replace the thermostat.

Below is how I removed and fitted the thermostat I hope this helps some other members if they have to do the same job, remover the under tray before starting the task,the thermostat I removed had only been fitted for 2 years with limited mileage of about 3.700miles.

First remove the engine cover two 8mm bolts Fig 1

Remove the cover and put it in a safe place with the bolts Fig 2

Using a torch and shinning it through the gap in the manifold I can see the leak Fig 3

The next step is to remove the air filter box from the engine bay, loosen the hose clip on the throttle body inlet hose Fig 4

Pull off the small air induct hose pipe Fig 5/6

Next you can pull up the air box it may be stiff as it sits in the holes and is held in by the lugs under the box Fig 7/8

You now need to release the Shannon tube from the air box Fig 9/10

Air box removed put it safe with the engine cover in the boot of the car out of arms way Fig 11

You may see a little oil in the air induct hose this is normal and can be cleaned out before re-fitting Fig 12

There may also be a little oil in the throttle body again do not worry Fig 13

You can now see the three hoses that are connected to the thermostat and the bleed screw Fig 14

Later you will also need to remove the bottom hose that is the reason for removing the under tray before starting the task. Fig 15

The next parts to remove are the breather hoses, the first one is the one connected to the vis motor & throttle body and the front Fig 16/17/18/19

These hoses are removed by depressing the red locking collars Fig 20/21

You will have to use a screw driver to depress the locking collar connected to the vis motor Fig 22/23

The last locking collar on the top breather pipe is connected to the top of the throttle body and is black an again a screwdriver may be used Fig 24/25

You can now pull back the engine bracket and feed the hose past it Fig 26/27

With the hose removed again put it in the boot for safety Fig 28

You can now remove the second breather hose Fig 29

Start at the front cylinder head again depress the collar Fig 30/31

Them move to the collar on the manifold Fig 32/33

The last part of this hose to be removed is the T piece, this is held in by a white collar Fig 34

This white collar needs to be pressed in at both ends and twisted to release the hose Fig 35

Once remove inspect it and make sure it is in good order no cracks or splits and put it in the boot Fig 36

Next step disconnect the vacuum hose from the idle control valve Fig 37

Place this hose to one side for now Fig 38

You can now unplug wiring plug from the throttle body Fig 39/40

unclip the next plug underneath by depressing the metal spring clip Fig 41/42/43

With the two wiring plugs removed set them out of the way Fig 44

Next we turn our attention to the throttle cable Fig 45

lift the throttle lever and remove the cable 46/47

We now need to remove the throttle body it's self which is secured to the manifold by four torx 30mm bolts two above and two below Fig 48/49/50

You will need to use a long reach socket and ratchet with 30mm torx start with left top bolt Fig 51

Next bottom left Fig 52

Bottom right Fig 53

Last top right Fig 54

Once removed inspect and clean up with a bit of WD 40 and in the boot with it Fig 55

You can now put a container under the bottom radiator hose and remove it to let out the coolant Fig 56/57

This hose with the bleed screw in it will be removed once the coolant as be drained off Fig 58

To Be Continued

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote