View Single Post
Old 15th December 2014, 14:57   #9
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystabe View Post
I'm glad you're happy with your car and the engine in it........ but I don't really see why you've brought the diesel engine into it - unless you actually wanted a pointless panto (oh yes it is, oh no it isn't etc etc) thread
It's simply that the BMW engine was pushed at me by people saying that it was, in their words, "bullet-proof" and it clearly isn't. I can remember seeing diesels during the 50's, 60's and 70's that just ran and ran despite suffering all manners of abuse and expected this "bullet-proof" engine to be something similar. The same people told me to avoid the K series due to belts and HGF problems. It seems to me that belts and head gasket on a K series can be just as cheap to repair or maintain as a timing chain on the BMW ( they do appear to wear out!)
I am in no way trying to bad mouth the BMW, which has it pedigree behind it. I'm just saying that the Rover petrol engines may, in certain situations ( ie. low mileage/local use ) be a better/more useable/reliable/more economical alternative than the BMW diesel.
Mike