View Single Post
Old 15th December 2014, 19:36   #18
Howey
Banned

MG ZT-T 160 cdti

[QUOTE=roverbarmy;1866371]It's simply that the BMW engine was pushed at me by people saying that it was, in their words, "bullet-proof" and it clearly isn't. I can remember seeing diesels during the 50's, 60's and 70's that just ran and ran despite suffering all manners of abuse and expected this "bullet-proof" engine to be something similar. The same people told me to avoid the K series due to belts and HGF problems. It seems to me that belts and head gasket on a K series can be just as cheap to repair or maintain as a timing chain on the BMW ( they do appear to wear out!)
I am in no way trying to bad mouth the BMW, which has it pedigree behind it. I'm just saying that the Rover petrol engines may, in certain situations ( ie. low mileage/local use ) be a better/more useable/reliable/more economical alternative than the BMW diesel.
Mike[/QUOTE
I would say you are a little premature with your assersions if you have only owned your car for a matter of month... Perhaps discuss the subjective reliably of you k-series versus CDTI's maybe 18 months down the line. Me? I have covered 22k miles since March last year and my daily driver diesel hasn't failed me once apart from requiring a new battery
Howey is offline   Reply With Quote