Old 2nd August 2015, 07:40   #78902
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Some sort of "right of passage"?

With me the effects are left and centre as well .............
The Fellows society is a 70 year old tradition in Clacton .
It was started by the then Clacton town council at the end of the Second World War who put on a welcome home celebration night of dinner and entertainment for the 68 (think that was the number) returning Officers from our armed forces.

The Dinner that was served was steamed suet steak & kidney pudding, mashed potato and sprouts .

The Fellows society was formed after that night and has continued to this day with five meetings per year ever since.
It still holds only 68 members who can all bring their own guests.
Last year we lost the remaining two founding members who were there from the very start sadly .

Membership is by invitation and due to the small numbers the waiting list can be anything up to 10 years and only happens when another member resigns or is no longer with us .

It is a suit and tie event and all monies raised from our guests tickets once catering and entertainment has been paid go into local charities, chiefly the local Clacton RNLI and the St Helena Hospice cancer respite home .

I have had the pleasure of being a member for five years now and have been going as a guest for many years previously, it has been an honour to have spoken to and learnt so much from our established members.

I've also had the pleasure of taking Phil (Gatekeeper) and Stu (Leopard680) as my guests and hope to do so again
I will see if I can snag other members from here as well to come along , it is a great evening and steeped in tradition

Last edited by coolcat; 2nd August 2015 at 08:01..
coolcat is online now   Reply With Quote