View Single Post
Old 12th July 2016, 20:53   #29
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
You do Neil. My thirty year old bog standard Halfords trolley jack will do it!

Simon
Yes as Duotone as posted the handbook pages - Note that the front and rear points are for hydraulic jacks only (e.g. a trolley jack, or maybe a good bottle jack, I know which is safest and it has wheels!) My standard sized Halfords trolley jack lifts the front high enough for stands to be placed under the reinforced sill points with no problems. A 'mini' or low level jack probably won't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
Even with the standard jack wound up to its max(never recommended!), is just too short for the first pin hold in my axle stands. So I just use the stands without them raised. which is fine for wheel work anyway. I try to keep the jack would just under tension on the sill, as well as wheels under the sills, belt and braces.

I've tried the central point, but do not have faith in my 2 tonne jack, always felt its seals were about to give way. With the jacking pads, I have always feared them being ripped up with my trolley jack, or slipping back and damaging the sill. So I always use the sub frame for axle stands and trolley jack.
Only ever use the standard jack for jacking only one wheel clear off the ground for wheel changes, this is all they are designed for. N.B the owners handook specifically cautions against either jacking or using stands under any part of the car except for the 4 sill points and the front and rear central points: While it may to you feel more secure you are in much greater danger of damaging the subframe/suspension by doing this; although with caution and a good appreciation of engineering forces I'm sure there's possibly some points that may work with care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy View Post
there are no central jacking points, they are mounts for the towing loops and are not designed to take vertical loads, however many do use them... its up to you
As Duotone has posted the relevant owners handbook pages you can now be sure that they are designed specifically with jacking in mind, and we can correct this incorrect notion.

Save
Save

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote