View Single Post
Old 15th July 2016, 05:53   #5
MWMan
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Repaired !

Well I had a go at repairing this and it wasn't too bad. Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics but here is what I did.

1. Drill out the three pop rivets on both end caps and remove them. Both end caps need to be off.

2. Slide the cover out of the frame and on a nice flat surface (The carpet in the lounge), roll it up nice and tightly. The cover has a central tube with simple hole at one end, and at the other end is a slot which engages into a plastic key on the end cap.

3. Slide it back into the holder (leave it sticking out by an inch or two) and at the end with the key slot, use a coin or washer to wind the key slot to put tension on the internal spring. You need to use a bit of judgement as to the tension, but I put enough on to make it just difficult enough to hold in place with my finger.

4. While still holding the key slot on the roller (now under tension), put the end cap key into the slot. Now the spring is held under tension as long as you keep hold of the end cap.

5. With the end cap attached to the roller end, place it back onto the frame. I now put some long pop rivets back into the holes just to stop the end cap from coming back off. I didn’t tighten them up at this stage.

6. At the other end jiggle the end cap onto the roller and then fit it back onto the frame. Again, I put some temporary pop rivets in there to stop the cap from coming off.

7. Now you can try the roller to see if it works OK. If it does not retract with enough tension, take everything apart and start again, putting more tension on the roller this time.

8. If all is well, just tighten up the Pop Rivets which secures the end caps in place permanently.

Note. Make sure the length of the Pop rivets is OK. One of them needs to be a short one, the other two are longer.

Reading this probably makes it seem more difficult than it is. When you get it apart it becomes very obvious.
MWMan is offline   Reply With Quote