View Single Post
Old 27th June 2017, 21:30   #6
frankgoldstar
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Conny Saloon

Dear Simon,

many thanks for the information.

I do have three relays in the control box.

And indeed, there are the thick grey and black wires you describe.

I will go and try the procedure you describe tomorrow.

I was thinking that, without a reference, i.e. a ground being introduced, that there could be 12 volts on either side of the various bits, which would be in line with what Artic said, the switching being done on the negative side.

However, as a paid up coward, especially with low voltage, high current bits, I was very reluctant to do anything other than ask the good people of this site, most of whom seem to know a lot more than I do.

I was somewhat downcast, but this advice has given me a lift and renewed my purpose. thank you.

And for anybody who may wonder why auto electrical wiring worries me, many moons ago the backlight went out on my BSA. OK, only 6 volts, no need to worry.

I felt round under the frame and mudguard area and found the live wire end where it had parted company with the rest of the wiring - with the end of my finger, which pressed it to somewhere negative.

That wire heated up in an eyeblink and I spent the next few days looking ruefully at the white lines incised in my skin by the fine wires, spread by the pressure of my finger end.

Best wishes, Frank
frankgoldstar is offline   Reply With Quote