View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2017, 22:23   #1
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts
Default Under Bonnet Rubber Seal Fix

Today I was sorting through a load of rear car door seals I have in the shed, good ones from bad ones, a little time later I decided to check my plenums, it was then it dawned on me that the rear door seals would be ideal to replace a worn out or even short under bonnet seal.

The seal that resides on the fire wall and seals the scuttle panel to the front of the body under the bonnet.

Most of the cars either have a full length rubber seal or a short rubber seal with two foam ends that either perish or keep coming loose and stick to the under side of the bonnet when it is raised.

I therefore took of my full length seal to see if the rear door seal could replace a damage seal, or as above replace a short one with the foam ends, below are a few photo of how I went about doing it.

As you can see my seal is a full length one, and touches both inner wing ends Fig 1/2

Rubber seals that runs full length of the scuttle Fig 3

I removed the old seal from the car Fig 4/5

I then started to press on the rear car door seal which are a little thicker onto the car body a scuttle panel from the drivers side Fig 6

Once it was pressed all along to the passenger side inner wing, i marked it ready for cutting with some snips Fig 7

I cut the seal to length Fig 8

The rear car door seal fits perfect and because it is a little thicker it gives a better seal Fig 9

An added bonus is that one rear door seal is long enough for two lengths so if you have two cars you can do both or a friends car, here you can see the extra length of the door seal next to the original seal Fig 10

This photo shows the differing thickness of the door seal and the original seal, also the door seal fits tighter onto the scuttle and body. Fig 11

Finished product the rear door seal fitted in situ Fig 12

I have a bag full of these and over the week end I will be cutting them to length anyone wish to replace their under bonnet short seal, damaged seal for one of these rear door seals( FOC )they will be at the next nano meet cheers Arctic.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote