View Single Post
Old 14th June 2018, 15:58   #145
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
I still own an Omega V6 - in 2'5L - so know the engine very well. In fact, I've just finsihed replacing plug leads and spark plugs so the typing is a bit hit and miss with my sore hands and back.

The Omega V6 engine has many weak areas just like the KV6. It requires a good maintenance regime or a lot of luck for trouble free motoring. On mine, I had all the potential problem areas addressed as part of a mid-life maintenance programme and the car has been absolutely trouble free over 18+ years. But, take a look at the OOF and and you will soon get a different view to yours.

All V6's are trouble and expensive to maintain, but an absolute pleasure to drive.
This is obviously some type of sweeping statement which simply cannot be true. It is obvious, that the more parts you have in an engine, the more things can go wrong, so V8s should be worse than 6es or fours etc.
From purely personal experience, the Rover V8 is no trouble, apart from dodgy ignition modules years ago, The Jaguar V6 I know from the two liter and the 3 liter. Both fantastic engines! Only have had problems with ignition coils and a clutch, in 200000km.
The problem comes with the choice of materials, and the choice to use belts, in which the rover V6 excels on both fronts!
A V6 is not generally or specifically more troublesome than any other engine configuration.