Thread: Battery drain
View Single Post
Old 1st October 2018, 12:25   #7
Bullnose75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer 2.0 V6 LPG

I had a flat battery the other morning in my Tourer,11.7 volts. Starter wouldn't turn engine over. Battery is only five months old. Recharged it,put it back on car,checked nothing was left on,lights etc. Flat again next morning 11. 7 volts ish again.
Checked for battery drain yesterday with multimeter - showed fluctuating reading between 3.38 amp and 2,75 amp drain with nothing on apart from clock. Only thing i'd fitted recently was a replacement CD changer(which only works when it feels like it) so unplugged that and battery drain went down to a steady 2.5amp,still too high a drain but that pointed me in the right direction. Removed fuse 33 (the radio,audio one) and battery drain went back to a normal less than half an amp drain (.43 actually).
When I got the Tourer back in April the radio didn't work until I found the rocker switch someone had fitted under the steering column. Used car like that for a while,turning power to radio on and off with the rocker switch. Tried it without rocker switch and the radio fuse 33 back in and radio has worked fine for months until now. Looking through previous owners pile of bills for parts etc that he'd had fitted to car over the years did show that he'd been fitting brand new batteries every couple of years or so,proper good brand ones not cheapos,so guess he'd been having intermittent flat batteries too until someone sourced the fault to the factory fitted radio.
So might be worth you removing fuse 33 to see if prob is radio related on yours too
Bullnose75 is offline   Reply With Quote