View Single Post
Old 18th January 2019, 14:45   #18
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

All vehicles will flip over if given the right circumstances, cars turn over as much as 4x4's/SUV's do. Cars tend to be involved in more accidents due to speed being the biggest factor, excessive speed will easily flip a car over. You stand a better chance of survival in a large vehicle than a small flimsy eurobox if involved in a collision, that is my belief.

When my daughters were born I went straight out and bought the missus a 4x4 for them all to drive around in. I bought a 3.0ltr ISUZU Tropper LWB, and YES! the wife was the typical women driver in a 4x4 doing the school run as they do, and I wouldn't have had it any other way.

A few weeks after my second daughter was born a silly young girl who had just passed her test drove straight into the side of the 4x4, she drove right into the rear quarter panel just where my few week old daughter was sat in her car seat asleep. The height and strength of the 4x4 actually saved my daughters life, the lower half of the 4x4 took the impact while my daughter was sitting safe and sound away from the crush/impact (the young girls car was a write-off).

We continued to buy 4x4's for another 10 years, Shogun, Pajero's, Hi-Lux Surf, Frontera and even a Ford Maverick. We eventually moved on to MPV's all due to the bad press 4x4's were getting at the time, especially those with front bull-bars.

We would move back to a 4x4 in a blink of an eye if it were not for the expensive running costs, many times we talk about getting a Land Rover or a Range Rover, and we may well do if I get my way. Currently our Dacia Stepway mini SUV with its 900cc 3 pot engine and £30 a year tax is what the wife wants, but when she wants something different, that is when I step in and will most probably say 'Range Rover'.

Last edited by Dallas; 18th January 2019 at 16:07..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote