View Single Post
Old 18th February 2019, 07:22   #20
Dorchester2
incurable Rover addict

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 1999 - Rover 25 1.4 2002 - Rover 214i cab 1994 - Rover P5b coupe 1968

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
You're a salesman's wet dream. Any modern battery charger will pulse charge at a slower rate and enter maintenance mode when it determines that the battery is fully charged. It's not a particularly complicated appliance. If you want to pay over the odds, go right ahead.

The Aldi item is totally fine.
Maybe... but you made me smile.
Mind you we are talking about dedicated AGM chargers or at least chargers able to do a truly good job on AGM batteries.

Did I write the more expensive the better? No or I was misread.
But buying the cheapest anyone can maximize his chance to get junk.
I often saw individuals or local authorities going for the cheapest then after a short while forced to buy what should have been bought in the first place. In the end the mean & tight solution may sometimes happen to be the more expensive. And I must confess that not being ever so clever I was sometimes trapped in that silly game... But I'm a bit of a grown up now!

Anyway talking of electronics, I'm willingly inclined to trust you when you say that a rather simple device may comes at a modest cost... as a shed work.

However I'm sure you know:
- that there are different categories & qualities in electronic components from the strongest & the more reliable to the weakest,
- that the devil lies in details and it takes time & money to built a good & reliable device,
- that any product should be carefully tested before going to the store,
- and that's something to copy any device without any particular deep skills or knowledge and another one to pay even a modest study board with a few qualified engineers to innovate & upgrade what existed previously. Without that we would have been stuck in the iron age...

Back to the main subject an actual true AGM battery is rather expensive: never ever did I see any way under £130 with a sufficient power exceeding the minimum value for our 75 & ZT. Mine is a 70A 720Ah Banner one (Austrian). But Bosch or Varta can do that as well but at a similar price.

What would be the use with so expensive a battery to go for a cheap rubbish charger?
I demand the best for my pride & joy!
And my 25 has got an AGM Banner battery as well.
  • This vehicle was the 2,032nd 75 in Atlantic Blue Pearlescent (code: JEY) to be made out of 2,572 Atlantic Blue Pearlescent 75s

Last edited by Dorchester2; 18th February 2019 at 07:29..
Dorchester2 is offline   Reply With Quote