View Single Post
Old 5th July 2019, 10:33   #2
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
when I was a kid I wanted to grow up, get a motorbike, get married have children own my own home. At Work, I wanted to bet promotion to technical officer.

I have done all these things, nothing special, nothing like sailing around the world single handed or winning gold at the Olympics but nevertheless my "dream"

how about you?

macafee2
At 45 with a huge mortgage, two children, and lots of unending bills - all I wanted to do was retire ASAP and start life’s longest holiday. As I owned the business I had a vested interest in its success and worked long hours and weekends were as much to clear the desks as family.

Tough times but good times. If it had failed - we could have lost everything.

At 55 the mortgage was anything but huge, the kids were pretty much financially independent and my business was fine and rather than doing everything- I did only what I wanted to do and had a good team around me to what they were good at (and that I wasn’t )

By 65 the business was sold and I had a couple of years to go as “Consultant” to ensure smooth transition. Between us we achieved just over 98% customer retention. A testament to my choice of takeover firm - I was offered more money by others but I wanted the same customer focus that I had. The others had no idea of this basic business principle and their business model seemed to be mopping up other businesses and not caring about the most important asset! - the goodwill and the customers themselves.

Now I still do what I want - and get a pathetic enjoyment out of gardening, dog walking and having a laugh with friends.

But as I approach 67 later this year - I have to remind myself to take each day as it comes. Our next door neighbour’s brothers wife died unexpectedly yesterday.

Looking back at past success and achievements is a nice activity. But you know what? - I get more pleasure from the greeting my dogs give me when I walk in the door, the eating of fruit and veg I grew myself, than all the work I used to do.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote