Thread: Belts
View Single Post
Old 30th July 2019, 21:45   #9
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

[QUOTE=marinabrian;2751440]Cheers for that Steve, I had a Gates 5PK2030 in stock, and because this was a time critical job, I picked up a Continental ContiTech 5PK875 at ECP for a tenner including the VAT.

There were a couple of reasons for failure, this car had a new crank pulley fitted two weeks ago by the owner of the car's local garage.

It had about 2.4mm of runout

So after I removed the pulley, I found a lump of grit on the end of the crankshaft, I cleaned that off, and refitted the pulley properly.

Second mistake, the belts which were fitted to the car when the original pulley failed, were refitted after the pulley was replaced.

Now as I'd cut off the shredded remains of the old belts, the AC compressor belt tensioner was in it's previously set position.......at the end of it's adjustment.

What had caused the breakdown yesterday was the AC belt running off, and catching the auxiliary belt.

Quote:
The owner was charged no less than £306 to replace the pulley.......half a job by an incompetent fitter, and charged as if prestige service was being delivered.

I cannot say I'm surprised sadly, this particular outfit has demonstrated their incompetence coupled with staggering greed time after time

Brian [/QUOTE
]

Hi Brian.
Not the same car we were talking about on the phone the other is it, if so well from what you say I can believe it, by the way I think I may have my little item am waiting its arrival once here I will let you know, so keep an eye out for a message coming to Saunders tower through one of its message tin cans or by messenger pigeon.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote