View Single Post
Old 19th June 2020, 20:00   #703
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Today I mowed the lawn, it was a little wet, so I ran over on the highest setting, and while waiting for the sunshine to do it's stuff and dry things out so I could run over the grass again, I decided to get the tools out.

The job, well I replaced the timing belt, alternator belt and PAS belt on the Freelander.

These belts have covered less than 700 miles, however they are ten years old.

Does anyone remember a discussion some time ago about how drive belts don't deteriorate with age, and only mileage matters?

Take a look and see what you think........

First we have the timing belt, note that the belt has acquired a set while fitted, in it's relaxed state it should be a gentle oval.

Next the date code, this belt was made on day 6 of week 34 2010 by Gates at Dumfries Scotland.

Follow that by the alternator drive belt

And finally, the PAS drive belt.

I only ever fit Gates belts, as these are the exact same items fitted by Rover and Land Rover, and in the case of this car all of the belts pictured were changed at the same time, both previously and today.

So these belts have not covered anywhere near their mileage limits, but are four years over their time limit, there is no contamination and the auto tensioner was like new, and reused.

The service interval for the timing belt on this engine is 72,000 miles or six years whichever comes first, now who would have a bet as to whether they would have lasted another 71300 miles?

Consider that next time anyone tries to persuade you that it is a money making ploy by car manufactures, or timing belt makers that belt need to be replaced on a time basis, and it is safe to run them to the maximum mileage

Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Freelander timing belt.jpg (75.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg freelander timing belt date.jpg (89.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg freelander alternator belt.jpg (78.6 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg freelander PAS belt.jpg (79.6 KB, 56 views)
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote