View Single Post
Old 8th August 2020, 14:48   #9
Mike Trident
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Saloon & Citroen C1

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
that looks like the cage that holds the filter material to me, ie someone has removed the filter material to release any blockage and reduce the smoke.

The PCV vortex I had always thought was just that, a spiral design - to create the vortex, which has a valve and spring in its centre.

With reference to vortex, there are many stories on the BM forums of them failing. Cheap ones tend to fail due to plastic fatigue, with the 'better' ones tending to fail due to seizing closed (I assume the spring fails and/or the valve gums closed ).

Another point with the vortex type ones. If you have one fitted, and get a little smoke, even though the intercooler hoses and rings check out fine, confirm the integrity of the vortex housing or seals have not been compromised (this is common on the BM forums also).

The Vortex type is just a plastic funnel, however BOTH types have the rubber and spring diaphragm at the side of it. I changed both bits of mine as I figured the diaphragm must have been a bit tired after 100K. A lot of people seem to forget about the diaphragm bit.

BORN
Tuesday, 5th October 2004 @ 12:35:52
This vehicle was the 104,679th 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 3,318th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE (135) to be made out of 4,744
This vehicle was the 12,440th 75 in Starlight Silver (code: MBB) to be made out of 14,280 Starlight Silver 75s
Mike Trident is offline   Reply With Quote