View Single Post
Old 13th December 2020, 13:36   #60
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Am I running cold? Started the car and went for a drive and this time with ignition key at position 2, I got the temperature reading.

Having done about 12 miles mainly at 30, 40 and 50 the best I got was 81.
I think it made 83 on the way home. There was no load so to speak as it was just the wife and I on the way and return a load of empty boxes as well.
Am I running cold or cool? The dial was at the 9 o'clock.

macafee2
How long did it take to reach 75?

At this time of year, and in these ambient temperatures, mine reaches 75 in about 3 miles. This is roughly 1 mile each of 30, 40, then 50 mph, and what I would describe as firm acceleration.

Following this, another 2 miles at varying 40-50 mph (and maybe a traffic light or two) it reaches 84-86 degrees.

After those 5 miles I reach the motorway and within a mile of accelerating to to 70/80 and cruising the inline stat has opened at 88/89 degrees. It maintains 84-86 until I park at my work, which is literally at the end of a slip road off the motorway.

So that is 6 miles variable speeds of 30-40-50-70 mph, it reaches temp. In the summer, it opens earlier at 5 miles and before I reach the motorway.

As well as this, I do not have the heater on. If you have the heater on after perhaps 3 miles I would suggest that it will not reach 86/88 by the 12th mile without much acceleration (ie no engine load), if you didnt exceed 50mph.

There are so many variables, it is difficult to measure. I am happy that it reaches the temperature, and it has a consistent pattern. But your description is similar to how mine would react if the heater was on early in the run.

If the heater was not used, I would suggest that whilst it seems like the stat is opening early (it does NOT have an inline if I recall) it is not bad, but would still benefit slightly to a decent inline stat fitted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Another test, if you can cruise, with no acceleration, along a motorway for 5 miles, after the temp has reached its max temp. The temp displayed should remain relatively constant, and that will give you an idea if the stat is opening early. The last time I did this, with a faulty stat, it maintained roughly 76 degrees - if the stat had been operating correctly, the temp would have continued to rise.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 13th December 2020 at 13:42..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote