View Single Post
Old 15th December 2020, 11:23   #65
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst125 View Post
Well I’m stumped. Just swapped out the stat as it was running at 42mins on the gauge. It was an 88c stat that wasn’t dual clamped in. Replaced with a brand new QH 86c with clips either side, and after preheating, turning the heater to hot/off, idling for ages it wouldn’t budge past 43.5minutes. Neither did it open suddenly, I felt some thermal heat spread but when it got into the top hose it was slow rather than full on. Couldn’t get a Wahler in time for my day off, should have waited!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
your first stat could have been fine, or doing what it was meant to be doing.

Before doing anything else, you need to check the temperature using the OBD, and do not rely on the gauge. I fitted two 86 inline stats which both gave 82 degrees on the OBD display, when cruising after reaching its maximum temp, when it opened at 84. The needle remained at, roughly, a needle's width below the 9 oclock position (which it did when reaching 75 degrees).

Even with the Wahler stat, the needle only reaches this, below the 9 oclock, position and this was normal (for my car) - it initially opens at 88-90 and maintains 86 whilst cruising. (I attribute this discrepancy deficit to the position of the inline stat - but I cannot prove this).

Take the car for a 10 mile drive, with the heater off, to test. Idling will take a very long time to encourage the stat to open. These engines are very thermally efficient and I have seen situations (on my commute) where the temp dropped whilst idling at traffic lights (this was prior to the initial opening of the stat and the heater off).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote