Thread: Decimalization
View Single Post
Old 15th February 2021, 17:25   #7
Dorset Bob
Senior Citizen

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur SE,Chrysler 300C,124 Spider, Daytona 955i,Honda XL250 & Royal Enfield 650GT

Thanked 2,685 Times in 1,686 Posts

I personally think that the old imperial money system of £ s d, was a brilliantly thought out system.

The system allowed the pound to be divided far more readily than the metric system.
If you divide a pound by 2 you get 10 shillings
By 3 you get 80d = 6s 8d
By 4 it is 5s
By 5 it is 4s and so on

The metric system falls over as soon as you get to 3, as it becomes 3.3333 recurring.

Of course if you want metric there are 10 florins to to pound (2 bob bits).

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
My god I home they keep the mile!

Perhaps for international engineering reasons it was "right" to align with others but as an individual, I'm not unhappy with imperial.

macafee2
They might with the statute mile, but I don't believe that they will ever get rid of the nautical mile.
Ships and aircraft use this because the circumference of the world is divided by 360 degrees. Each degree is split into 60 seconds and one of these is a nautical mile.
360 x 60 = 21,600, which is the circumference of our planet.

Then there is a knot, which gives the speed related in time and again is an imperial system, having 12 hour or 24 hour clocks divided into 5 dozen minutes.
Again a big plus, due to how the units can be divided.

I believe that the French, who dislike the imperial system, tried to invent a metric clock with 10 hours in a day divided into 100 minutes.
The idea was quickly dropped as they kept missing each other at various times down the restaurants

Let the good times roll............

Dorset Bob is offline   Reply With Quote