View Single Post
Old 29th April 2021, 12:26   #9
Alikris
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8 Connie SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybilston View Post
When the car did break down the temperature gauge was reading half way so there was no sign of it overheating-I was told by the RAC patrolman (rightly or wrongly?) that with this Rover engine it will often show the temperature as normal on the gauge when infact it is melting??
The analogue temp gauge is notorious for being ineffective at reflecting actual temps. I fitted a digital temp gauge. See https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=93462 for details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
Why fit a temperature sensor? obviously had a leak, should've found that first. You can run the obd for the correct engine temp
I think that's a bit unfair. A digital temp guage means one can glance at it any time, without the hassle of turning it on and off on the OBD. As for the leak, leaks are not always obvious, especially if you don't check the hoses or expansion tank every few minutes. Even when there is a leak, it still may not be obvious as the leak may be above a hot part, which immediately evaporates the drips. So coolant may be disappearing from the expansion tank, but that doesn't mean any leak is 'obvious'.

It wasn't until I put UV die into the coolant and checking with a UV torch in the dark that I could see the head gasket leaking when the engine was hot, directly above the exhaust manifold. No drips due to evaporation and not dripping when cold. My digital temp gauge didn't help as the engine wasn't overheating whilst loosing coollant.

Ali.
  • Vicky: born Thursday, 15th April 2004 @ 08:20:55. The 95,246th 75 to be produced, and the 4,783rd 75 in British Racing Green Pearlescent.

Last edited by Alikris; 29th April 2021 at 12:39..
Alikris is offline   Reply With Quote