View Single Post
Old 15th November 2021, 14:46   #162507
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Morning all, morning Ian 😃 I brought one of those hats back from Russia and gave it to Woof25. Following his death in December 2016, I got the hat back, great for a cold day. The reason I was in Russia, I had to do a Medi-Vac from St Petersburg and because I didn’t have time to get a visa I had to ‘buy one’ from the security officers at the airport. Two guys who spoke perfect English with American accents, wearing leather coats. They looked quite intimidating, however they were friendly. The visa gave me plenty of time to assess the patient and check she was fit to fly. I was able to visit “The Hermitage”, a big museum and I visited the black market where I bought the hat. My driver took me to his home where his family entertained me with Vodka and Caviar…..what nice people. Thank you for resurrecting those memories.
Your hosts must have been posh Phil to indulge you with vodka and caviar. Cabbage soup is a popular favourite among the lower echelons. Phaaaarp! The talk of Ruskies takes me back to my work place of the early 90's. We hosted a visit by some of them and I seem to recall that they brought with them a gift of a samovar for the head honcho which caused a bit of a stir. It was of a modern electric type and there was some concern about its compliance with British and EU safety standards. Some of the guys were tasked with checking it out but to this day I'm not sure if they found it to be fit for use as anything other than an ornament. Plus the head honcho was on vacation up north and the guests wished for the samovar to be presented during their visit.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote