View Single Post
Old 3rd December 2021, 12:52   #42
Retap
Loves to post

MG ZT-T CDTi

The bush thats knackerd on the arm that i just took off was one of those that slid on nicely without much resistance but you can see the state of it however that wasnt even the reason for removing it not even noticed by the mot tester.

I'm not sure that claiming the bush damage caused by misalignment however slight is accurate at all the bush was fitted perfect as i had a lot of trouble with that arm as it came with a bush pressed firmly on to far which i had to cut off.

I still have this knackerd arm and intend to cut the bush off to measure the diameter of the arm around the hexagon area because i measured the new arm in the same way out of curiosity using my trusty wilko calipers and will let you all know my findings if you like. Pretty sure the new arm is fatter towards the edge than where the bush sits and thats a Rimmer OEM part supplied with a nice big yellow sticker on it "Autonational" see photo below.

Its going to be interesting finding out over the next year how this tight fitting bush copes but i dont buy the argument the arm needs to move in the bush at all maybe handy when fitting but thats it however im not a pro just a diy guy with a resonable idea of things possibly edging towards a 4* haynes rating lol.

For me it would be out of spec if the arm was allowed to move within the bush laterally as the arm has no need to travel like that with the main ball joint into the sub frame acting as pivot point and so such lateral forces would be transferred 90 degrees by the pivot into the bush causing the arm to press into the side rubbers. The ball joint into the subframe ought to hold the arm unless loose or worn and allow it to only move up and down with the wheel which is a rotation force in the bush, any thrust laterally from the wheel would as described transfer 90 degrees by the pivot action into the side of the bush.

Anyway got 250 mile round trip on now with fresh signed off mot so catch ya all later.

Renew auxiliary drive belt # Replace driver door lock actuator # Refurbish wheels
Retap is offline   Reply With Quote