Thread: Electric cars
View Single Post
Old 20th December 2021, 19:41   #69
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
True but in my experience commercial vehicles and buses have always been the most noticeable inner-city belchers. I'm talking about a much smaller diesel for on the go battery charging as required with plug-in mains charging still being the main and preferred option. It will be tiny in comparison to a main diesel engine of today's vehicles and it will be used by most for a fraction of the time. Being so small any emissions will be easier to deal with, smaller cats and therefore less use of precious metals. In fact smaller everything re emission controls and with BHP removed from the equation the need for some to cheat by removing safeguards will be defunct. That coupled with what should result in smaller cost for smaller items should also incentivize best practice when any main emission control parts need replacing. The technology has been around in other applications for a long time and is well understood. Used on trains and many subs the world over and I believe that our navy's newer ships are now using it with electric motors driving the props.

Many turbo electric ships were built during World War 2. Cutting reduction gearwheels was time consuming but electric motors could be wound relatively quickly. Some even ended their time being used as shoreside power stations for remote towns.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote