View Single Post
Old 17th March 2022, 10:18   #8
jon cee

MG ZT-T

your question is one of my problems .... it very hard to define .. its almost like the drain isnt there some times .... I only noticed it after the car was idle for about a week or more .... during lockdown . I put it down to a dead battery. bought a new one, fitted it, and used the car every few days for about a month or two, then I didnt use the car for about 7 days , then it was dead again ...
but since I realised there is a battery drain somewhere ... its hard to pin point what or where or even if it is there .... I now alternate between batterys , recharging the old battery, while the new is on , and then if i dont drive the car for a few days, I might have to put the old one on ... sometimes the new battery drains in a few days (5-7), sometimes the old battery drains in a few days (5-7) ... there doesnt seem to be any regular pattern .... I would expect the old battery to drain quicker, but sometimes the old battery lasts longer .... I appreciate that might be because of how long ive charged it ... but since trying to diagnose the drain problem, i put both batteries on a 12 hour recharge , using a timer plug... and still sometimes the one battery will last longer than the other ... sometimes its the older battery , sometimes its the newer battery .. which seems to tell me, along with the test i did, where there was NO BATTERY drain, the battery drain might be intermittent ....
generally speaking , if i leave the car unused for 5-7 days, the battery will be dead ... but enough power to open the central locking, but not start the car ...
if i leave the car for 8-10 days, its dead dead. not enough power to open the central locking
but then sometimes, its been dead dead, within 4-6 days , (but that might be because of insufficient charging)
thanks for you help and sorry for the variables . I'm kind of hoping to get a tip on whats the most common things, so i can check those first
jon cee is offline   Reply With Quote