Thread: End caps
View Single Post
Old 6th June 2022, 08:36   #17
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
just wondered if you have ever tried the camshaft oil seal method. for my part i have not, but wondered if they are easier to install than the caps and also if they leak at all ?
I have installed seals in mine and this is now the most popular method around here due to the extremely low temperatures we sometimes get during the winter months. One winter we had temperatures below minus 20c and I heard of 3 KV6 owners who experienced flying camcaps - 2 were lucky, it was the back cap but the third suffered terminal oil contamination when the front cap flew. I think it was Lovel who pioneered this method as it presents a smaller surface area to the expansion gases (although I believe he still recommends caps). Our local dealer mechanic got so fed-up with these caps that he devised a metal retaining bracket.

And yes, I think the seals are easier to install: wet the seals with evaporating fluid, ease them into position by hand, remove the centre of an old cap and use the old cap to screw the seals into place with perfect precision.

A few drops of paint should solve the potential rust problem.

Regards
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote