View Single Post
Old 8th July 2022, 07:45   #17
robimo
Regular poster

Rover 75 2.0 V6 auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hi Rob,

This is very useful evidence. I think you should look at the instrument pack wiring connections as it acts as a CAN bus communication "gateway". It's common to all the fault symptoms you have given:
  • Tachometer and temperature gauge failure indicate loss of communication with the ECM.
  • The PRNDL display loss indicates loss of comms. with the automatic transmission ECU.

It's therefore unlikely that you have experienced simultaneous failure of two separate ECUs. Your gearbox is misbehaving because it's unable to communicate with the rest of the CAN bus system.

When you say that the "check engine" light is "down", do you mean that it is illuminated continuously?
Has any work been done on your car recently which might have resulted in wiring damage or a displaced connector?

Simon
The "check engine" light did not come on but remained off, but the car did not go more than 50/60 km/h.

I use the car occasionally, it is not my main car.
I haven't had any work done in at least 2 years, for this reason I think it may be oxidized contacts, not damaged cables.

I'm not a mechanic, when you say "I think you should look at the instrument pack wiring connections" which connectors do you mean?

Now I am far from home and my goal is to be able to go home next Tuesday.
For the moment the car hasn't given me any more problems, I hope in god.
If I can have directions to give to the mechanic at home, thank you in advance.

Now, I'm thinking to try cleaning the ECU contacts in the hood
and of the gearbox contro unit

Last edited by robimo; 8th July 2022 at 08:18..
robimo is offline   Reply With Quote