View Single Post
Old 18th August 2022, 17:26   #7
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

During my career on the railway I did a few years as a Traction Inspector, investigating operating incidents, examining drivers on rules and regulations or on any new locos that were introduced. Perhaps the highlight was 1997, being involved in the Commonwealth Heads Of Government train that ran from Edinburgh to Leuchars so the heads of government, VIPs etc could go to the home of golf at St Andrews. Had to be police vetted for it, background checks etc. There was a loco either end of the train, a driver and myself on one, another inspector and driver on the other. Arrived at Haymarket station to pick the VIPs up, platform was full of hard looking guys all with a bulge under their jacket, armed security! To add to that the train was to follow a Scotrail unit full of armed police. Didn’t recognise most of the heads of government but did spot Nelson Mandela.

Sandy (the other inspector) and I knew it would be a very long shift, the drivers would go back on a passenger train and other drivers would come up to take the train back later but we had to stay with it. We were told we’d be fed . . . . err no! 16 hour shift and we got one bacon roll from the police carriage on the train. Thankfully the Scotrail unit also remained at Leuchars and we knew the guys on it, Scotrail looked after them, it was stocked up with trolley snacks, crisps, chocolate, drinks etc.

When we returned to Edinburgh I was on a mission. I knew the heads of government had been presented with a book about the Forth Rail Bridge, when we arrived at the carriage depot I was straight at the security guys on the train, any copies of the book lying about? Give him his due, could have told me to get stuffed but he found one, copy of the book complete with a presentation certificate. Sandy was miffed, all he got for a souvenir was a menu.

I enjoyed my time on the railway, I miss the camaraderie and the humour, none of which I could repeat here!

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote