Thread: Oh Heck!
View Single Post
Old 28th April 2024, 17:26   #15
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

I had a situation just over 3 weeks ago, I managed to fall off a set of folding steps I was using in the kitchen. Caught my back on the kitchen table on the way down. The following morning as well as one hell of a bruise on my back it was obvious I'd triggered a severe bout of sciatica (had it before), I was hobbling around the house with a crutch. I phoned the GP, in a phone queue for 30 minutes, finally got a response only to be told I'd need to phone NHS 24. In a phone queue for a further 40 minutes, gave all the details etc and was told they'd phone back. They did, "you need to go to A&E but as its not an emergency you'll need to make your own way there!" . . . . I could barely make my own way to the bathroom never mind get to a hospital 10 miles away! My only neighbour that drives was away on holiday, bus was out of the question and no way in hell I was paying about 25 quid each way for a taxi, frankly I doubt if I'd have been able to get into a car/taxi anyway.

I ended up resorting to the max dose of paracetamol which barely took the edge off the pain. Despite phoning the surgery twice more I couldn't get beyond the "phone NHS 24" response or get any decent painkillers, I can't take over the counter stuff or some of my wife's heavier duty painkillers in case they clash with my regular meds.

I finally regained some mobility after 16 days but I'm still walking with a limp and have to be careful about bending etc.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote