View Single Post
Old 13th April 2009, 11:29   #6
Phil
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Connoisseur SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave***t View Post
Claying makes a definite difference over 'normal' washing etc, but it's hard to tell what exactly that fault on your bonnet is, so hard to know what will help. Any more info?

One thing you'll need is something to lubricate the clay as you use it - most people use either a detailing spray or a strong shampoo mix (and plenty of it in either case).

Halfords do a Meguiars quik clay kit that should fit the bill. Although Bilt Hamber make a clay that only needs water - I'll be trying this one out myself later today, but you'll probably have to shop online for that.
To be honest, I think it is a paint defect under the lacquer. I have been told that all the chromactive paints pretty much suffer from it, I was hoping that there may be a product that makes the lacquer so shiny it makes it un notcable. Wishful thinking I expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja2tw View Post
Buy your car cleaning bits from ebay- It is much cheaper than Halfrauds!
Yeah but I want it now. I'm too impatient!
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenWilliams View Post
I find Clay brings back the smooth glass like finish.
Thats what I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano78 View Post
clay will only remove stuff stuck to your paint. from that photo it looks like you have some kind of oxidization going on which is odd on a car with clearcoat and not single stage paint. if you are going to buy from halfords some scratch x and plenty (and i do mean plenty) of elbow grease may get rid of it but if its anything like black olives bonnet it will just laugh at you and stick its tongue out. failing that it will need machine polishing.
Thanks. Pics later hopefully!