View Single Post
Old 8th August 2009, 19:27   #3
smcaul
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon CDT Club

Try domainmonster.com they only do domains, although you can host a basic web page with them. They offer email forwarding for free, so you could forward [email protected] to [email protected] etc, they also offer yearly pop3 mail boxes for a fee. Or if yu want to really play and have an old laptop or desktop laying around then host the email and web server yourself.

I use hmail (http://www.hmailserver.com/) for the email server, very, very, very good and simple piece of free software. I have about 7 domains and 20 odd email addresses that it serves, both for me and for a couple of friends.

For web server I use Apache, this is a bit more difficult to set up but there are loads of how to guides on the net. Took me 2 evenings to get it up and running, I now have several different domains running on it and also have it set for webmail access.

I have no IT training, everything I have done is from teaching myself.

You do need to mess around with the DNS settings for your domain for the above, but it is a cheaper way of doing things, much better then spending £5-10pm for hosting - although I do pay to have my business sit hosted but that is for reliability more then anything else!

Freedom isn't free. Somebody paid!
smcaul is offline   Reply With Quote