View Single Post
Old 22nd January 2010, 17:35   #5
J1MBO
This is my second home

Roverless & now carless

Thanked 2,428 Times in 1,301 Posts

Hi Kenneth, put together some photo's that might help you with sorting the problem out with the door. I'm guessing that the handle backplate is at fault - but would suggest that you strip it down to check.

Following on from my previous post advising the way to take the door card off.

When you've removed the electric window switch, disconnect the plug shown in the red circle

The interior handle has a "blank" covering the screw

To remove the interior handle you'll need to push it forward to release from the door card and unclip the operating cable shown in the red circle

Here's a photo with the door card removed, it's the offside one in my case, so just the reverse for your nearside one. Show's the armrest clip at A, the interior door handle operating cable at B and the area you'll need to peel back the foam at C

Now it's possible to remove the part that I think is broken without removing the actual lock - but it'll all need doing by feel. Here's a picture of the mechanism again for the offside door you'll need to reverse in your case.
I forgot to mark 5 as the latch/lock.

Now you will need to put you hand up into the door from the inside and feel for a clip that is behind the "button" of the exterior door handle - the bit that doesn't move when you pull it. Photo below showing what you're trying to find.

When you have released this clip and removed the "button" you should now be able to remove the door handle which will expose two rubber seals, remove these and you will find two screws with "star" drive, for the life of me cannot remember what they're called (remembered they're called torx), remove and disconnect the rod and remove from the door. I'm guessing but I think it will look like this

But should look like this

If that's your problem you'll need to obtain a new handle backplate as per this link http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-CXF100222 and replace.

You might well have problems replacing the rod that activates the latch/lock - haynes suggests that you reconnect at A, but that requires three hands! I found it was much easier reconnecting at B

Hope that you find this helpful Kenneth - pity you're at the other end of the country - a bit too far for me to help personally.

Again for information here's another Rimmers link that also shows the lock/latch/handle set up http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001787

Regards

Last edited by J1MBO; 22nd January 2010 at 17:41.. Reason: remembered it was torx!
J1MBO is offline   Reply With Quote