View Single Post
Old 10th August 2010, 22:31   #1
Bartonrover
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT & V6 saloons in Wedgwood

Default Broken Rear Door Catch & JB Weld

Trebor convinced me that I could tackle door card removal so I did. Had a broken rear door handle (door wouldn’t open from inside) which has been on my “to do” list for over 3 yrs…. and I also have to tackle a dodgy powerfold so it would be practice for that. Got the card off using a thin (4mm) flat piece of oak without breaking any clips.

The end of the handle within the door had a broken hook or loop, so there was nothing in which the hook on the end of the cable could engage. I know others have managed a quick fix with wire but wasn’t sure if that would last. Couldn’t drill the handle – think it’s what used to be called “monkey metal” a brittle alloy and very hard. So I used JB Weld – fabulous stuff I’ve used lots of times for repairs – and “glued” a new washer in place into which the cable hook engaged perfectly. Simple and seems to be holding!

One problem on replacement of the card, was engaging the lock “pop up” rod through the top of the card. I managed to dislodge it completely from its housing in the lock. Took me over an hour to work out how to refit – but thanks to all the posts and photos on this site by others I did it. Praise to all concerned – but not to the guy who specified that awful black gunge to hold the inner insulation sheet in place!
Bartonrover is offline   Reply With Quote